Sunday 11 November 2007

Banh Bao

I have known and eaten banh bao since I am a teen, thanks to my vietnamese neighbour in France. It is a vietnamese delicacy originated from China: stuffed steamed buns. They can be stuffed with meat, vegetables, sweet soya paste...
I asked Oanh to teach me how to prepare banh bao. She had to ask her aunt for the recipe as she never made them (they cost only a few thousand dongs and are widely avalable in Vietnam, although only in a few places they are really good). I should mentionned that we had to call my friend's mum in France at 7am on a Sunday for a few tips...

Anyway, here is the recipe:
Prepare a bread dough with 150g sugar, 1kg white plain flour, 30g dried yeast and water.
Once the bread dough is ready, prepare the stuffing:
Submerge separately 5 perfumed mushrooms , 5 black mushrooms, and 100g of fine rice vermicelli in hot water until softened. Drain the mushrooms and vermicelli, then, chopped the mushrooms finely and cut the vermicelly in bits of a cm long.
Boil quail eggs for 5 minutes.
Mix 100g of lean pork meat finely ground, 250g of fat pork meat coarselly ground, one chinese saucisse sliced (40g), the chopped mushrooms and vermicelli.

Take a piece of dough (size of your choice), roll out thin, add a spoon of filling and 1 or 2 quail eggs. Seal the dough and put on a piece of paper. Wait at least 1h for the dough to raise.

Steam the buns for approximately 20 minutes (it depends on the size of the buns, of course). Banh bao freeze really well so you can prepare a big batch at a time !

6 comments:

muinho said...

u are so awsome !I'm a Vietnamese too and i found u when i was finding a recipe for banh bao.thanks for your recipe and your entry about a Vietnamese food!

muinho said...

u are so awsome !I'm a Vietnamese too and i found u when i was finding a recipe for banh bao.thanks for your recipe and your entry about a Vietnamese food!

Anonymous said...

I'm Vietnamese and I am newly trapped in Dundee. How did you get quail eggs here?!

Manoute said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Manoute said...

Hi there, welcome in Dundee. You can usually buy quail eggs in the supermarket or at the farmers market (third saturday of every month) in town.

Anonymous said...

Hi! I'm spaniard and I was looking for a recipe for preparing Banh Bao. I had a friend who used to make them and I wanted to try! :P
Thanks a lot for this blogg!